SLOW COOKER BEEF CURRY
-less than 30 mins
-over 2 hours
Use your slow cooker for this simple beef curry – it’s full of flavour and guarantees meltingly tender beef. Serve with rice and naan bread.
Each serving provides 334 kcal, 33g protein, 12g carbohydrates (of which 10g sugars), 16.5g fat (of which 5g saturates), 2g fibre and 0.3g salt.
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 800g/1lb 12oz beef braising steak, cut into 2.5cm/1in pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 chillies, finely chopped, plus extra to taste
- 2.5cm/1in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 200g/7oz natural yoghurt
- small handful fresh chopped coriander (optional)
- Heat half of the oil in a frying pan and fry the beef pieces for 4–5 minutes, or until browned all over. (You may need to brown the meat in batches.) Tip the browned meat into the slow cooker.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes, then add the garlic, chilli and ginger and fry for another 2–3 minutes. Add the spices and fry for another minute, then tip the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the slow cooker, then fill one of the empty cans with water and add the water to the slow cooker.
- Stir everything together, pressing down so that everything is covered in liquid and cook for 8–10 hours on low.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the garam masala and yoghurt and season to taste with salt and a little more chilli. Cook for a further 30 minutes, then stir in the coriander.